A vacancy exists within our organisation for the role of Operator Maintainer.
Opuha Water Ltd owns and operates the Opuha Dam and Power Station near Fairlie as well as downstream irrigation distribution infrastructure in the Fairlie/Geraldine/Timaru area. The Opuha scheme plays a vital role in sustaining the in-river flows in the Opuha and Opihi Rivers while supplying reliable water to its irrigation shareholders and to the Timaru region’s water users. The Opuha Dam officially opened in November 1998 and today has over 200 irrigator shareholders. Since opening, Opuha has increased the productivity and diversity of the surrounding farms and provided growth for numerous regional industries through reliable water supply. The Power Station has continued to generate renewable power for distribution to homes and businesses in the Canterbury Region. We operate out of an office/depot facility near Pleasant Point.
We have an exciting opportunity at Opuha Water Ltd for an active, mechanically minded individual who enjoys working outdoors, is a team player and thrives in a small team environment.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, your activities will include:
• Safe maintenance and operation of the irrigation schemes
• Improvements to scheme reliability and efficiency through technology and system upgrades.
• Routine in-river health monitoring, dam inspections, weed control and much more.
We offer you:
Great on-going training opportunities and a supportive environment to further your skills and career. We are a company which promotes personal growth. We provide you with a utility vehicle (for work use) and a mobile phone that assists you to monitor and control our irrigation operation. Work clothing, tools and safety accessories are also provided. We are a friendly, supportive, tight knit team who work closely together to achieve our goals. We pride ourselves in giving our team the tools, training and backing to achieve their set targets.
If this sounds like an environment you would like to work in, apply today!
Ideally you will have some/all of the following skills and experience:
• A full clean Drivers Licence and be capable of working autonomously
• Competence in the use of computer systems and hand-held devices will be required.
• Technically and practically minded
• Experience in mechanical maintenance, welding or mobile plant operation would be advantageous.
• The role will include carrying out water quality and river health monitoring activities so experience in this field would be valuable.
• A good level of physical fitness is essential as you will be required to regularly carry out field based activities.
• A good understanding and commitment to Health and Safety in the workplace.
• Experience working in a team environment.
• Experience of working in a rural environment
• Being able to work flexible work hours, including rostered weekend coverage during the summer season, is a must for this role.
Should you have any questions or require a full job description for the role, please contact Craig Moore on firstname.lastname@example.org or for a confidential discussion call 027 460 9721 for further details.
This role is diverse, exciting and offers lots of learning and development opportunities and so, if this sounds like you, we would like to hear from you!
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa. Applications close 25th November 2016.